Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.2.3 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

I’m not sure if this is a Gnarbox problem, or a LumaFusion video format issue, but here goes… When I connect my Gnarbox to LumaFusion, the files show up in the browser as they should. I can scrub through them, set in and out points, and they playback perfectly. But when I drag them to the timeline, they won’t download, and I get the icon you can see in the attached screenshot.

Now, I can import the files via the Photos app (“old school” if you will), and I can import them via the Files app (“new school” I guess), and they work as they should in LumaFusion.

And when I transcode into 720p proxy files using the Gnarbox Safekeep app, I’m able to import them wirelessly into LumaFusion as expected.

The footage is from the Panasonic GH5, in 8-bit.mp4 format, at 4K. Any ideas as to why I’m getting this issue?

Attachments:
File comment: Screen Shot of the Issue
Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.57.48 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.57.48 PM.png [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 4305 times ]

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi skylarkmick

What happens if you ‘Consolidate” the project? Does it pull the relevant bit of the clip in then?

I don’t have any GH5 footage of my own

Is there anywhere you could upload 1 clip so I can copy it to my Gnarbox to try it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

I’m in touch with Gnarbox support, and have provided them with some footage for testing.

Interestingly, when I shoot in .MOV format, things work as they’re supposed to. BUT, the files are much, much smaller than the out-of-camera files, so it seems only the video previews are being transferred to LumaFusion from the Gnarbox.

For example, if the .MOV raw file from the GH5 is 230MB, after I import the clip into LumaFusion via the Gnarbox the extension becomes .mp4, and the file size is about 20MB.

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you also try V2.2.1 of the app and let us know if it is fixed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 am 
Novice
Novice

The latest update has not solved the issue.

When you import footage into LumaFusion via the Gnarbox, Dave, can you tell me what the file size, extension and dimension information is you’re getting in the Files app?

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

Below is a Dropbox link to a folder that contains two video files, and two screen grabs. I created a new project in LumaFusion, and imported a .MOV file (shot on the GH5s) into the new project. Then, I went into the Library Media folder on my iPad, and located the clip LumaFusion created from what I imported. THIS is the video file that shows up as an .mp4 file, and is MUCH, MUCH smaller than the original .mov file.

The other video file is pulled straight from the raw media offload on the Gnarbox. It’s the exact same clip, just the original media. And the file size is what I would expect to see from a 40-second or so clip.

There are also two screen captures from inside QuickTime Player that shows the Inspector window open. This shows exactly the differences between the original .MOV file, and the .MP4 “converted” file that LumaFusion is generating. What’s also interesting here is that the original file was shot at 24p (23.98 FPS), while the .MP4 file has also been CONVERTED to 29.97 FPS.

Link…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/smej6ubuvyo9 ... SeXna?dl=0

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just received this from Gnarbox support…

“I figured out what is going on here. I don't know how I didn't realize this before...

You are actually seeing a low-res proxy file that is being used to make edits, however, upon export it will relink the full-res files and render the full version of the edit. That being said, what you are seeing is normal. This is not converting the original file, just providing you with a lightweight proxy to work from temporarily. This being said, when you go into library media folder on your iPad and are looking at the LumaFusion clip, you are viewing a PROXY file not the ORIGNAL file.”

So if I’m understanding this…when working in LumaFusion with clips imported from the Gnarbox THEY ARE NOT subclips of the high-quality original media. Instead, they ARE proxy files, and only when you export a finished video out of LumaFusion are you then re-linking to the original media. And that means when you export, you have to have the Gnarbox connected, with the original media loaded onto it.

That’s not at all how I understood the Gnarbox to work before I bought it. What I want is to be able to import subclips at the original media quality and size. If I can’t do that, this device may not be for me.

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi skylarkmick

Sorry I've been a bit slow got 'old Mom' problems at the moment

I will contact the LF developers for you

Stand by

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Dave,

Thanks for the help! Is your understanding of how the Gnarbox works in line with what their support team is saying?

Skylark Creative
weareskylark.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here’s the response from Chris, The lead Luma Fusion Developer:

GNARBOX's message isn't quite right on that. When you select a trimmed portion and use it in LumaFusion, it will be a full resolution trim of the original media, unless the media is a type not supported by LF (ie: MXF, ProRes, etc) - in that case the media is still full res, and highest bitrate, but will of course be transcoded. On exporting a movie from LF, that downloaded media is used for the export (we don't go back to the GNARBOX). However, if you export FCPXML to with the 'No Relinkable Media' option, then we will re-link to the original media on the GNARBOX drive when you open it in FCP.

so that’s the definitive answer (sorry it took a while)