Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.9 is now available in the App Store

Post subject: Working from an SSD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Question about external drive workflow:

For those that are using it or plan to use it in version 3, what is your method of getting video files onto the SSD to begin with?

In my case, I generally have footage taken from my iPhone and on an SD card from my DJI Pocket 2 and drone. Previously I’d transfer SD card footage to my iphone with a dongle and then just edit on my iPhone with LumaFusion.

But now if I want to take advantage of editing from an external drive on my iPad, I’d need to first get the footage from my phone and SD cards on to the SSD drive, which in my mind would require airdropping iPhone footage to my Mac, as well as transferring my SD card footage to my Mac with another dongle. Then I’d need to transfer all that footage from my Mac to the SSD before I can start editing. Seems like a bunch of extra steps plus the use of a Mac? Is there a more efficient way to get all the footage onto the external SSD on the go before I start editing without relying on a Mac?
Or maybe I am going about this all wrong. Is the point to have the raw footage on the iPad and then save the project on the SSD?

Post subject: Re: Working from an SSD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I can reasonably edit on iPad Pro direct from a USB-C SD card reader. The previews aren’t quite instant but way better than I got with a lightning card reader on my old iPad and definitely useable. The main drawback for me is that if you have two or more SD card sources you can only see clips from the current one on the timeline.
If storage isn’t an issue I’d just copy everything on the card to UserMedia with the files app. Otherwise maybe copy everything to an SSD drive. I haven’t tried that yet but you can get SSDs with an SD slot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:28 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
I can reasonably edit on iPad Pro direct from a USB-C SD card reader.
Nice. Thanks.

I have a 2TB Lacie/DJI Co pilot - AVOID. That's a HDD with a sd card reader for field backups without a PC or device - sadly an iOS update stopped the app working on iPad. Transfer speed was USB2 so would be garbage for editing from anyway.

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just got a Caldigit SOHO USB-C hub and is amazing. It has UHX-II SD and micro SD slots, and a USB-C data port, so I can connect my Sandisk Extreme drive and slide an UHX-II SD card, and transfer directly super fast.
Highly recommended.