Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:48 am

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.8 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:59 am 
Adept
Adept

Does this translate into LumaFusion being able to edit ProRes from other sources? I wonder. I would have thought that ProRes recording would also be available to the iPhone 12 series although they claim that it is enabled by a feature in the new A15 chip, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been Googling this exact thing.

Looks to be the iPhone 13 models with 256GB+ of storage.... or maybe it's the Pro versions. It's not at all clear, but not every model has the functionality despite having the same SOC.

If prores support is something that can be switched on/off with models of the same hardware generation, then it could be assumed that it's entirely up to Apple who gets to have this capability, rather than all devices running 15

It's upgrade time, I reckon :roll:

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:03 am 

Quote:
Looks to be the iPhone 13 models with 256GB+ of storage.... or maybe it's the Pro versions. It's not at all clear, but not every model has the functionality despite having the same SOC.
The Pro versions can record ProRes. The Pro versions above 256 can record ProRes at 4K/30fps, the ones below that can only record HD/30fps. The non-Pro versions cannot record ProRes at all. That’s what I’ve understood from the info I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:17 pm 
Adept
Adept

Regardless of which model can record ProRes video, wouldn't it make sense to be able to edit those videos on any other device that can support iPadOS 15 (or at least a broader selection of iPads and iPhones - not just iPhone 13)?

I guess I'm asking for too much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

In theory, ProRes playback should be implemented in software/iOS-level and thus be able to be played back on any recent-enough device - assuming it has the required storage space and bandwidth of course. The limitations mentioned on certain iPhone 13 models seems to be simply about storage space (or lack thereof).

Unless I'm mistaken, half the point of ProRes is that's computationally very easy to decode, which is why it's used for editing. Unlike H.265 which relies heavily on the hardware acceleration built into the A/M-series chips in order to play back smoothly... hence why a lowly 2018 iPad plays back 4K H.265 happily yet the same vintage i7 laptop struggles.

I suppose the only potential hardware limitation is that 'lesser' iPhones/iPads simply don't have the internal data throughput to actually handle the files. I guess we'll find out in due course...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hmm, I may be mistaken. According to this article ProRes support is relying on certain new features of the A15 chip.

https://websetnet.net/apple-prores-vide ... ro-launch/
Quote:
iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini lack support for ProRes video.

Apple’s custom silicon team has had to create new hardware encoders and decoders for ProRes video within the in-house designed A15 Bionic chip. Also, Apple added an additional GPU core to the A15 chip powering these Pro models (for a total of five GPU cores). Dedicated decoders coupled with five GPU cores allow the new phones to capture in ProRes without missing a frame or taking a major toll on battery life.
If that's the case - and let's be honest, details are really scant right now, so everyone's just guessing - broader iOS/iPadOS level support to existing devices would be unlikely. Except maybe the M1 iPad Pros.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:50 am 
Novice
Novice

There’s no reason why certain iPads can’t play and/or edit ProRes, some already have the capability. It’ll be down to whether or not Apple open up the function in the OS.

As LumaFusion can already edit ProRes, my guess is that any LumaFusion compatible Apple device that is also ProRes capable, will be able to edit ProRes in LumaFusion.

Apple also send mixed messages sometimes. While there may well be special chips in the A15 to help with ProRes, ProRes can be used in software.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also, what flavours of Prores will iPhone/iOS support?

Not that I'll be buying an iphone just to shoot with (a camera in a walled ecosystem? Would Sony, Canon, et al get away with that?), but 4K 422 is over 1GB per minute, with Lightning or Airdrop to get those files off. Steven Soderbergh likely wasn't editing those movies on the iPhone as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:25 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Also, what flavours of Prores will iPhone/iOS support?

(a camera in a walled ecosystem? Would Sony, Canon, et al get away with that?).
You are aware that both Canon and Sony also have their own 'walled ecosystem'? Between using non standard codecs and bespoke media and the inability of some NLEs to see various codecs by both, these are actually more restrictive than ProRes.

While there are better codecs out there compared to ProRes, ProRes has all but been adopted as the industry standard production and intermediate codec.

As for bitrate. Yes, if Lightning hadn't already shown its age, these new iPhone 13s, especially those with large storage, are going to totally embarrass Apple and their belligerence to stick to something that's way past its sell by date and something that is going to massively impede the workflow of anyone shooting video on the 13. There's no excuse for Apple not adopting USB C/Thunderbolt on all their devices now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry, I meant the iPhone as a ProRes camera paradigm itself, rather than the codec/container. I'm a fan of ProRes. 8-)

I owned a Sony camcorder, I've gone all-in with 360 and I've even picked up a canon for Magic Lantern RAW, so there's that. :lol: I'll tolerate painfully clunky post production and juggle SSDs with the iPad, but I don't have time to mess around when I'm recording.

I've kinda derailed the thread. Oops.