Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:09 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 3.0.9 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:22 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi,

anybody here having a Gnarbox and can explain me how the Proxy editing work?

Just try to understand things like "original filesize" .vs. "proxy file size" or "original resolution and bitrate" .vs. "proxy resolution and bitrate". Are you satisfied with the editing speed with the proxy media? How do you replace the proxy files with the original files for export?

I don't have a Gnarbox and don't really plan to buy one. I was just thinking of taking all my Fujifilm X-T3 video files (which are pretty much unusable on the iPad) and convert them into smaller files using ffmpeg on my Mac. Then use those files on the iPad for editing. So I would like to find some settings which will work nicely.

So reducing the files sizes is one task.

The other then will be replacing the media with the original once the edit is done. Maybe I'll used the XML export for FinalCut and do the final redesign on my Mac. Or is there a way to easily replace the files? How does Gnarbox handle this.

Thanks, Carsten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Hmm, Body here with a Gnarbox? Nobody here used proxy media before?

I assume that the proxy media need to keep the same resolution so that transitions work without any scaling. So I guess the only „optimization“ can be done via the bitrate?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does this help?

https://lumatouch.clickhelp.co/articles ... /5395/qp/1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Dave,

but this doesn't help at all. My question is not about connecting a Gnarbox, it's more about "How to use Proxy Media". Due to the fact that Gnarbox is advertised as supporting Proxy Media, I was taking this as a starting point.

But it looks like nobody here in the forum is using this slightly overpriced tool :-)

Thanks Anyway....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Slightly off topic, but I think this could be what you're after. If you are really, REALLY brave, my current workflow goes something like this...

I output my reframed 360 to prores422 as H.264 and H.265 output by Insta360 Studio looks nasty.

I FFMpeg transcode to a playable MP4/MOV format on iOS in a resolution that Luma likes (there are a bunch of tags that iOS requires - I'll add a reply later with the syntax. I'm using a PC, so you'll need to change it for Mac). KEEP THE FILENAME & EXTENSION THE SAME THROUGHOUT.

Import to Lumafusion

Edit with nice easy to work with files. [backup the project regularly]

If I want to up the encoding quality, resolution (like 1080 to 4K) & bitrate for the final render, I could re-run the FFMpeg process, use the "files" app to delete the original files from FileExt and replace with the up-res files. This is where you might like to use the original Fuji files & is why filenames and extensions are important. You will first need to use the library in LumaFusion & tap each of the file thumbnails before the project gets clued up that the original file has changed.

NOTE: There is a bug that I have been told should be fixed in 3.0.5. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that Lumafusion is not running while you are deleting and replacing the files. Your project could end up with a blank.mov replacing each of the clips in your project. See a recent post of mine.

I've used this workflow for audio pre-production, using desktop noise reduction & EQ and then re-muxing the cleaned audio into my MP4s without transcoding. I love FFMpeg.

Windows laptop for emergencies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

it's occurred to me that you might be editing from an external SSD - You might be able to skip the scary steps and just swap the media on the external drive.

Never tested personally as I don't like things dangling off the iPad when I'm editing on the go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:30 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Mevi,

this sounds pretty much what I need. would be interested in the ffmpeg parameters you are using.

Thanks, Carsten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:36 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Code:
for %%a in ("*.mov") do ffmpeg -i "%%~na.mov" -i "%%~na.wav" -c:v hevc_qsv -preset veryslow -load_plugin hevc_hw -global_quality 15 -look_ahead 1 -profile:v main10  -y -brand mp42 -tag:v hvc1 -c:a aac -b:a 256k -map 0:v:0 -map 1:a:0 "%%~na.mp4"

pause
Again, this is a windows batch file. I don't have a Mac and the last one I used creatively had a G4 processor!! You will probably need to google batch processing on your Mac, if you're not already savvy.

I'm using hevc_qsv as my video codec - Intel QuickSync. You don't get as much control over things like keyint, but being HW accelerated it's the best option on my 8th gen i7. It's variable bitrate. Complex scenes are high bitrate, low complexity scenes are lowbitrate. Change the -global_quality if you want bigger or smaller files.

In this example it is taking every 10bit prores MOV and my cleaned up WAV and combining it into a good quality MP4 for Lumafusion. Take out references to the WAV and the map commands if you're not using external audio. You can increase the audio bitrate. FFMpeg doesn't seem to mind 32bit WAV input.

Important things to include for iOS are the -tag:v hvc1 and -brand mp42

You may still get the occasional file that Lumafusion says is not iOS compliant. I didn't get this when using a software based video codec, so I imagine QuickSync isn't ideal. They still play OK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wonder if your Fuji editing experience is any better if you simply re-package the camera audio and video into a new container with the brand and tag? (assuming you're recording HEVC). If it's PCM audio, it might play nicer if reencoded to aac.

ffmpeg -i fuji.mov -c:v copy -c:a copy -brand mp42 -tag:v hvc1 fuji-output.mov

[edited for spelling]