Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm editing footage from my Mavic Pro.

What I'd really like to do is to remove the SD card from the Mavic and just transfer the MP4 files directly to LF and play with it there. I can't do that because the moment it hits the photos folder on the iPad, it starts uploading the file to my icloud. If you've ever tried to upload a 3gb file to the icloud when your BEST internet speed is 2mb, you'll understand why I don't want this!

So, the only thing I can do is to copy the files using my PC and into my WDMyCloud network drive and then import them using Wifi directly into LF, thereby avoiding the dreaded iCloud.

The problem is that transfering a 3gb file over wifi is no walk in the park either. The ipad seems to suddely stop unless I sit there keeping the screen alive. Sometimes the transfer takes 20 mins per file.

Is there really no other way to get these files directly into LF? The problem with transferring them over Wifi is that you cant see any thumbnails of the files so you have to go over to the PC, preview each file, make a note of the filenames, go back to the ipad, start transferring, hang around and make sure that the screen doesnt go to sleep etc etc.
Quite frankly, the way this workflow is right now, its far easier to just edit the media on the PC. Its a zillion times faster and nowhere near as frustrating.

Am I missing something here or is everybody going through this hell?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:56 am 

I have kind of worked around the same problem when importing photos into Lightroom.
I put my iPad in flight mode, then import all the photos to Photos.
I then import them in Lightroom (with Adobe sync off), and when that is finished I delete them from Photos and from deleted items in Photos.
I can then turn off flight mode, but keep Adobe sync off until I get to WiFi.

I guess you could do something like this:
Turn on flight mode
Import to Photos
Export to files and then choose “on my iPad” as location
Delete from Photos
Delete from deleted photos
Import to LumaFusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

That’s a brilliant idea but my stupid SD card reader just stopped working so I’ll have to get a new one and test that out - unless there’s anyone else who can have a go and see if that’s possible!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:39 am 

You don't need a new card reader to test this. If you are unsure whether you can access the files this way, just do all the steps after import with the files you already have.
Export to "save as file" in "on my ipad"
Then import into luma fuison. I believe you have to select "from icloud" to access files browser and "on my ipad"

If you get the files that way, it works. Just remember to turn on flight mode and delete the files both from My Photos and Recently deleted photos

Post subject: Turn off iCloud
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am 
Novice
Novice

As an alternative, you could turn off the automatic upload to iCloud.

Attachments:
3BE47EFA-1E64-4D38-9D59-41AFC3CB90F6.jpeg
3BE47EFA-1E64-4D38-9D59-41AFC3CB90F6.jpeg [ 68.61 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]

Last edited by CappyLee on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Another idea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 am 
Novice
Novice

Here’s something that you might find useful.

This is how I copy media from my Photos app to a personal folder on my iPad and then to LumaFusion.

https://forums.luma-touch.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6918

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am 

I believe you cannot turn on or off iCloud Library to prevent it from synsing. The moment you turn it off, it will start deleting images that are not downloaded to the iPad.

As for the workflow with Documents, that was a great tip, never thought of that and have used Documents for years, great app.

I played around a little with the suggestion I gave above, and found an added benefit to this workflow.
By using files and “on my iPad” you can store the files directly inside LumaFusion and also use subfolders to organise your clips.

On my iPad conatains a folder named LumaFusion and inside it there’s a folder named UserMedia. Create your own subfolders inside it and drop your clips there. They will then show up in LumaFusion and there’s no need to import them again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks guys, I've pretty much got this working with all your help!
Still so much to learn though and so little time!

Many thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 pm 

Same boat.. My DJI Osmo 2 & Mavic files is a pain trying to transfer to the iPad.. Oh well, what can you do?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Actually, after struggling with WiFi, I eventually bought a iXpand memory stick. This thing has a USB port on one side and a lightning connector on the other. After copying my Mavic video to a safe place on the PC, I copy the files I want to the iXpand and then attach it to the iPad. This thing can transfer a 3gb file to the iPad in under a minute - a zillion times quicker than WiFi!
LF reads directly from the iXpand so it never gets to go to iCloud.
I’m pretty happy with this, it’s way faster than any other way of doing it!